Summer 2011 - This is a brand new blog for anyone interested in gardening in Uinta County, Wyoming. The Master Gardeners are the blog authors, but everyone in the community is invited to participate by following the blog, subscribing to posts by e-mail and making comments on the posts. Also, we’d like to publish pictures and gardening anecdotes from anyone in the community who’d like to share them. Contact us on this secure form and we’ll get in touch with you.

_______________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Excited About My Clematis!

My Jackmanii Clematis
There aren't very many perennial vines that can be grown easily in our Uinta County climate, but luckily one of our choices is clematis.  I've really been enjoying my clematis the last several weeks.  It took a couple of years for it to make it to the top of my lamp post in one growing season, and I really like the effect. 

Rock Soapwort

Clematis roots need to be kept cool and moist.  I've got rock soapwort planted at the base of my clematis, and it seems to be doing the trick.  The late spring blossoms are gone by the time the clematis blooms in mid to late summer, but the foliage remains to provide the shade needed.

 
Jackmanii clematis is hardy to zone 3, but not all clematis are this hardy.  When shopping for clematis, look for one hardy to zone 3 or 4 for success in Uinta County.  Here is a link to get you started in learning how to plant and care for clematis - Growing Clematis.

If you've got a clematis in your yard and you know which type it is, make a comment on this post and let us know.

by Sara

6 comments:

  1. Although I've planted many clematis,only a few have proven hardy enough,one of which is "Nelly Moser" not a prolific flowering variety,but the flowers it does produce are spectacular 6-7inch light & dark pink color,also "Henrii" which has huge white flowers.I suppose the most important thing I've learned is which "pruning group" each is in.Another thing I've learned is Clematis all prefer their feet in the shade! Hope this info helps Gina Marie Burns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. gardening experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot thank you enough for the blog. Much thanks again.Botanic Wire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Colonial Dorchester Site

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your hard work is much appreciated. Nobody can stop to admire you. Lots of appreciation. Colonial Dorchester Site

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. lawn enforcement lawn care

    ReplyDelete